Or Pre-living Together Counselling, if you prefer to skip the legalities. (You rebels, you!)
Yay! You’ve found the one. He’s perfect. She’s amazing. You’re going to be so happy!
We know hard it is to actually sift through dating an find someone so good that you’re wanting to spend your life together.
So why on earth would you want to talk to a therapist when you’ve got a wedding to plan and a home to furnish? Because the absolute best thing you can do is to create a solid foundation for success.
Taking the time now to develop the tools your relationship needs to succeed, to learn to communicate and understand one another deeply and with meaning is the best way to start your lives together. Investing in premarital or pre-commitment sessions with a qualified therapist is a solid and safe way to take a look at things like:
- Communication and conflict resolution (What does she mean that I never listen?)
- Relationship roles and expectations (Don’t wait until the baby cries at 3 am to try to negotiate this one.)
- Children and parenting expectations (See above)
- Finances and financial goals (What do you mean we can’t afford it?)
- Family of origin differences and issues (Is he going to turn out like his dad?)
- Values and spiritual beliefs (Wait. We’re not raising the children in my church??? Since when?)
- How to manage personality differences (Omg. Why does she have to get up so early???) (Why won’t he go to parties with me?)
- Intimacy and sex (How long is too long to go without, anyways?)
- Blended families and second marriages (The ex is driving everyone nuts!) ( Those kids are awful when they visit….)
Who benefits from premarital counselling?
This process is beneficial for anyone who wants to build a stronger relationship before the long walk down the aisle. Or the living room.
Whether you’re dating and looking to explore the idea of a long term commitment and wanting to know if you two have what it takes, or you’re already engaged and want to increase your chances of a successful marriage (before it gets really hard), this investment is worth your time and energy.
And if you’re remarrying, this is an opportunity to sort out all of things that come along with blended families, children, exes, and expectations before you’re all living under one roof and driving each other crazy. There is a reason second marriages fail at a higher rate and we believe it has a lot to do with unspoken and unmet expectations. We talk about all of those things and more in sessions and get you and your new partner ready for success. Kids and all.
Ready to get to work? Call us at 506-346-1313 or fill out the form below and we’ll get in touch.